Monday, October 12, 2009

Get De-Motivated.

I think the world has enough motivational speakers. That's not to say that we as a whole are not in desperate need of motivating, it's just that I think it's time that we subscribe to a new philosophy of getting people to do things. And to accomplish this, a new breed of speaker must be born.

That breed? The De-motivational speaker. No, really. I think we have come to the point where all of the positive talk is doing more harm than good. It's putting our self expectation at an all time high and our self judgement, and loathing, are following suite.

I'll be honest, I think we need more iconic figures telling us things like, "look, you probably don't have it in you anyway, so why try huh?" or, "Why bother trying to change anything about yourself? You're going to end up crying, eating or drinking more than you should again, and telling yourself 'see? I knew you wouldn't stick with it'".


I personally find it more motivating when someone says I "can't", or heaven forbid, I "shouldn't" do something. Nothing gets me more fired up and ready for action than someone's attempt to de-motivate me. It's that "I'll prove you wrong, you'll see" side of people that I think needs to be punched square in the face.

So for anyone out there that may feel the same way as I do and thinks they can do something to help. There's probably someone else that would be better at it, so don't even try, we'll all just end up laughing at you. You silly douche.

3 comments:

Tyanna said...

Just found your blog from your facebook page, and I loved that you used the words silly douche. Hope all is well.

elkeesandoval said...

Hey Erik,
Your post about getting de-motivated made me think about a time when I de-motivated someone. We'll call him "Manny". About a decade ago I was very jealous & threatened by Manny's wealth of knowledge of Hellenistic Culture. One day, Manny announced he was planning to learn ancient greek. Without missing a beat I snidely reminded him of his past abandoned efforts at mastering other languages and ridiculed his new endeavor. Six months later he was well on his way to reading greek fluently and a few years ago he verified the correct spelling of a tattoo of a greek name I have on my left forearm. He once told me that my snide remarks helped motivate him and although I am ashamed of my youthful folly I am happy to have played a minor role in his intellectual & cultural development :)

I Am CAM Jr said...

Well, I'll be damned! I've never thought of this this way, but it sure makes a helluva lot of sense to me!!!!